TOP TIPS TO SURVIVING IN AGENCY LAND
- Learn how to juggle. Agency life is fast-paced and you’ll likely be working on a handful of completely different clients at any given time. Learning how to be flexible and quickly adapt is key.
- Arrive five minutes early to everything. No one wants to be around a flustered and disorganised mess. Do yourself, and everyone around you, a favour and arrive early. Spend that five minutes as you please: prepare the meeting room or finally reply to that text you’ve been avoiding all week.
- Get your ducks in a row. When you work in an environment where everything can change at the drop of a hat, you need to be across everything at all times. Having up to date workloads and to-do lists will save you further down the track.
- Ask questions. It sounds cliché but there is no such thing as a silly question. Taking a few minutes out of someone’s day to clarify your task is infinitely better than completing the entire thing incorrectly.
- Manage up. There’s not much a manager hates more than having to chase you. Always stay a few steps ahead and predict their next question: tell them where you’re up to on a task, update them on what you’re struggling with, let them know if you aren’t going to meet a deadline.
See, working life isn’t that daunting. Promise.